Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja)

Hello,
Thank you for your comment.

From: Peter Makholm <peter@makholm.net>
Subject: Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja)
Date: 01 Sep 1999 09:08:31 +0200

peter> Kenshi Muto <kmuto@debian.org> writes:
peter>
peter> > xpostit-ja copyright:
peter>
peter> [cutted]
peter>
peter> > It seems DFSG freeware.
peter>
peter> Yes.
peter>
peter> > At now, 'xpostit-ja' maintainer is Mr.Arafune, who is Debian official
peter> > maintainer. Maybe he will upload this.
peter> >
peter> > OK? > Arafune san :-)
peter>
peter> No.
peter>
peter> If xpostit still is usable as non-japanese user it shouldnt be
peter> xpostit-ja but just xpostit. Indication of wich patches applied to the
peter> package doesn't belong to the package name.

I think that it is a right way to use "Replace: xpostit-ja"
in control file. Isn't it correct?

peter> If the japanese maintainers thinks that the best way to provide debian
peter> for Japanese users is a lot of special japanized packages, then theirs
peter> goal is better served with Debian-JP [That is my humble opinion].
 I dont think so.  I believe the best way is "Debian goes international".

I feel that:
	 If there is enough reason (e.g. Japanized (or I18Ned) patch
	is very large), Japanese package can be uploaded to Debian.

Please tell me, if I misunderstand (or not).

I'm not (for a present) a Debian-JP project member (Don't ask why?),
but I know Debian-JP Project does not provide their own distribution.