Re: Feaping Creature-ism in core Debian Packages

On Mon 30 Aug 1999, Joey Hess wrote:

> Perl 5 has been around for about 5 years. I think the quote is close to
> "perl 5 has lasted longer than all pervious versions of perl combined"
> (Larry Wall). It's surely a lot more stable than oh, libc.

That's what I thought. But then what is this business about perl-5.004
and perl-5.005? It looks like a tiny incremental change, but it has led
to quite a lot of confusion IMHO and pains when upgrading from slink to
potato.  Why wasn't the perl package simply replaced? I didn't have time
back then to follow any discussion on this topic; I hope this can be
explained in simple terms to me :-)

Don't get me wrong, I love perl since I first got perl-2 on a tape back
in 1988 or so (no internet access in those days...). It's just that I
didn't expect this much upheaval when perl changed from 5.004 to 5.005.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/