Re: Herring/dpkg (was Re: Senseless Bickering and Overpoliticization)

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 12:31:53PM +0100, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > A bunch of other poeple have started the Herring project (and another
> > project which does not officially exist, and shall not be named) to
> > make sure that even if dpkg takes it last gasp and doesn't even bother
> > writhing anymore, we've got a backup.
>
> Which IMHO is a waste of effort - surely working on the dpkg bugs is a
> better use of time rather than trying to re-write the entire thing? I
> reject utterly that the dpkg source tree is unreadable - I'm no god
> programmer, and I can understand it.

Every software project reaches a point where the effort required to
patch it is greater than the effort required to rewrite it. A clean
design that incorporates lessons learned over time is better than an
ad-hoc collection of patches, IMHO.

Mike Stone