Re: Feaping Creature-ism in core Debian Packages

On Sep 01, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.990901071450.1387B-100000@dwarf.polaris.net> you wrote:
> > On 31 Aug 1999, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>
> > The maintainer may not even
> > have been aware that they stepped ouside the boundries of the essential
> > perl package, and thus will not know to include this dependency in any
> > future source depends mechanism.
>
> Am I missing something?  I thought that's why we had a bug tracking
> system.  I have indeed done exactly this, using a perl feature that
> wasn't in perl-base in a postinst, and it took all of a half day for
> a bug to get filed about it, and another day for me to notice the
> bug and fix it.  What's the big deal?

More importantly, recent versions of debhelper include a tool that can
find Perl dependencies, called dh_perl.  It may need to be manually
added to debian/rules, but it exists.

[A Python dependency checker, based on the freeze tool, is also
possible.  One of these days, I'll get off my butt and implement it.]

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence         |            Visit my home page!            |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>    |      http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/      |
|    Amiga A4000 604e/233Mhz    |    Are you tired of politics as usual?    |
|     with Linux/APUS 2.2.8     |             http://www.lp.org/            |