Re: Dynamic user needed for shadow-analyzer: "shadowanalyzer"

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 03:11:36PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:

> I need a user to run scp, and to own generated web pages for
> shadow-analyzer (which I'm in the process of packaging, and is one
> half of a pair of packages for logging and analyzing network traffic)
>
> Unless anyone objects, I'll be calling the user ``shadowanalyzer'' and
> be installing it in the package's preinst, with adduser --system.

please keep it 8 characters or less.

i know that >8 character usernames work, but there are still many
utility programs that display users as %8s. long names are annoying,
anyway.

better yet, make the username configurable if possible - the local
system admin is going to have to set up (presumably passwordless) ssh
access for the user, anyway, in order for the scp to work.

> IMO removing the user would be a bad idea, since there's no guarantee
> that you've got rid of all the owned files, unless you do a system
> wide find, which would be a bit tedious.

errr....keep all the files under one directory?

craig

--
craig sanders