Re: Tcl-ja/Tk-ja (Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja))

On Sat, Sep 04, 1999 at 12:00:31AM +0900, Ryuichi Arafune wrote:

> As I say repeatedly, True I18N is more difficult than you think.

Hello,

is it possible that someone from Debian-JP or another i18n project
summarizes the technical difficulties in internationalization of software?

This could be useful for Debian maintainers to judge about patches, probably
helping with patches themself. This could also help new software developers
to conisder i18n right from the beginning of a project.

It is important that you help us to understand the difficulties. For
example, a good start would be to understand which sorts of i18n exists
(there are "thousands" of character sets and standards to choose from, what
are they, where are the differences, etc).

Another thing would be how to activate and test the i18n functionality. For
example, how can I switch on Japanese output/input in the programs?

Something like an i18n Howto for developers.

I feel that there is a big documentation/education hole. We can't find out
the problems because we are not faced with them. Please help us
understanding the issues.

If there are already ressources about this, please let us know.

Thanks,
Marcus

--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' Debian http://www.debian.org  Check Key server