Re: Infocom games

On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 03:12:47PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 10:40:39AM -0700, Kenneth Scharf was heard to say:
> > windows cd roms.  Just like I can legally use the infocom game files
> > for 'hitchhiker','starcross' and 'zork' with the gpl'ed runtime
>
>   Way, way off topic, but did Infocom release the original Zork for free
> download?  I think I remember reading that somewhere..
>
>   (and, of course, if they did are the licensing terms acceptable for
>    non-free or too restrictive even for that?)
>
>   Daniel
Here is a great site for InfoCom stuff:
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/

There is no license info for Zork: The Undiscovered Underground

Zork I thru III have the following EULA (minus a few obvious changes, such
as the name):

END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT

GRANT. Activision, Inc. ("Activision") hereby grants you a non-exclusive
license to use the accompanying computer game,
Zork: The Great Underground Empire, provided that you may not:

   a.modify or create derivative works based on the Game;
   b.copy the Game (except for back-up purposes);
   c.rent, lease, transfer or otherwise transfer rights to the Game;
   d.or remove any proprietary notices or labels on the Game.

TITLE. Title, ownership rights, and intellectual property rights in and to
the Game shall remain in Activision. The Game is protected by the
copyright laws of the United States and international copyright treaties.
This License gives you no rights to the Game's content.

TERMINATION. This license will terminate automatically if you fail to
comply with the limitations described above. On termination, you must
destroy all copies of the Game.

EXPORT CONTROLS. Neither the Game or its underlying information may be
downloaded or otherwise exported or reexported (i) into (or to a national
or resident of) Cuba, Iraq, Libya, Yugoslavia, North Korea, Iran, Syria or
any other country to which the U.S. has embargoed goods; or (ii) to anyone
on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals
or the U.S. Commerce Department's Table of Deny Orders. By using the Game,
you are agreeing to the foregoing and you are representing and warranting
that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or
resident of any such country or on any such list.

MISCELLANEOUS. This Agreement represents the complete agreement concerning
this license between the parties and supersedes all prior agreements and
representations between them. It may be amended only by a writing executed
by both parties. If any provision of this Agreement is held to be
unenforceable for any reason, such provision shall be reformed only to the
extent necessary to make it enforceable. This Agreement shall be governed
by and construed under California law as such law applies to agreements
between California residents entered into and to be performed within
California, except as
governed by Federal law. The application the United Nations Convention of
Contracts for the International Sale of Goods is expressly excluded.
License/End User-Zork: The Great Underground Empire 8/15/97
-------------------

The EULA, as it sits above, is too restrictive even for contrib/non-free.
I believe the owner of the Unofficial Infocom site had to ask permission
for including their product.

We **might** make some leeway if someone asks Activision.  **Especially**
if someone makes a *nice* package, including .rpms (for completeness's sake)
so that Activision can hand out .rpm or .deb floppies to flog their latest
linux product.  Perhaps with all the docs we can find, eh?

Ciao!

--
"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet." -- Al Gore
"If Al Gore invented the internet, I invented spell check." -- Dan Quayle

The Doctor What: Guru to the Gods                http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat@gerf.org                    (finger docwhat@gerf.org for PGP key)
KF6VNC