Re: Feaping Creature-ism in core Debian Packages

On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 11:26:18AM +0200, Sven Rudolph wrote:
> > about checking what dpkg would check. Maybe grep /var/lib/dpkg/status?
>
> Internal dpkg data representation. May change anytime.

The problem with this is that there is no specified interface for getting
information one can retrieve by grepping the status file.  For example:
I don't think there is a way for a program to check whether a package
is installed - a way that is not internal to dpkg and subject to change.
(Oh yes, you could parse the output of dpkg -s or dpkg -l, but there is
no guarantee the formats will stay intact.  Will a dpkg which does not
use the status file as we know it emulate it in dpkg -s?  If it does,
why not simply emulate it fully and export /var/lib/dpkg/status?)

(cc'd to -dpkg. Watch your recipient list.)

                                  ""
                             (John Cage)