Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality

Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net> wrote:
>>    These packages don't conflict; they merely provide the same
>> service.  There is no reason that these three packages cannot
>> coexist on the same system.  Any namespace overlap can be
>> solved by alternatives or renaming, as such things are normally
>> rectified.
>>    Debian policy should proscribe such inconveniences.

> Okay, then solve the problem of which one should actually work on the
> standard port?  You can't use update-alternatives if the software is
> launched in a different manner.  If you have such an advanced setup, it
> isn't really that hard to build it yourself, or use --force.

FWIW, the current practice when it comes to things like identd is not to
conflict with each other but be alert when you add entries to inetd.conf.
There is a very good historic reason why this is so, because identd used to
be part of netstd, so if you conflicted with that, you'd be conflicting with
a whole bunch of stuff that you can't live without of.  Even though this is
no longer the case, I think we should definitely keep the same mechanisms in
place since there is no reason why we can't have multiple identd's installed,
or multiple fignerd's, etc. as long as they don't overlap in their fs
namespace.