Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 03:13:36AM -0500, The Doctor What wrote:

> Excuse me.  I work for TurboLinux.

i don't give a damn who you work for.

> We make it an EXPLICIT policy to disable all daemons,

well, bully for you.  i guess that must make you so proud.

if someone doesn't want a service enabled then they should not install
the package that provides that service. if they want the service, then
install the appropriate package. simple. their choice to install or not
install.

now what is so fucking difficult to understand about that?

> If it really bothers you, then maybe a global switch
> that sets whether daemons should just start up or ask first.

you must be some kind of genius to figure that out all by yourself. gee,
i wish i had of thought of that. i wish several other people in this
thread had thought of that. oh. that's right. we did. i guess you aren't
such a genius after all.

> I would beg to differ.  In some environments, having an unconfigured
> server running for 30 seconds is too much.  And don't tell me to
> pulling the net cable.  What if it's being installed via the net?

DON'T INSTALL THE DAEMON IF YOU DON'T WANT TO RUN IT.

WHY IS THE BLEEDING OBVIOUS SO FAR BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION?

this argument has gone way beyond the point of being tiresome, it is
tedious. it is especially tedious when some pompous cretin just spews
out trivialities based on some misunderstanding of the thread which is
explicable only by you not having read it.

no regards,

craig

--
craig sanders