Re: PostgreSQL 6.5.2-0 packages for testing

On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 11:32:01PM +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> I have now prepared an experimental release of PostgreSQL 6.5.2.
>
> This release involves some restructuring of the packages, and a lot of bug
> fixes of Debian bugs, to say nothing of the upstream ones. Since I have had
> to do this rather hurriedly, I am not confident of its quality and would
> like to get some test reports before I release it into the archive (which
> will be 6.5.2-1).  On the other hand, it is important to get this significant
> new release into potato before the freeze next month.
>
> Those who would like to assist in testing may download the new packages
> from www.debian.org/~elphick/postgresql/

i just downloaded and installed the new postgres packages. postmaster
fails to start, claiming that another postmaster might already be
running (it isn't).

no idea why, but it's unable to bind to port 5432. "netstat -a -n | grep
5432" shows nothing bound to that port.

# /etc/init.d/postgresql start
Starting PostgreSQL postmaster
FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Permission denied
        Is another postmaster already running on that port?
        If not, remove socket node (/var/run/.s.PGSQL.5432) and retry.
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster: cannot create UNIX stream port

neither strace nor ltrace reveal much at all, just that the call to bind
fails with permission denied.

[ ...later... ]

ah. interesting. i just tried changing the perms on /var/run from 755
to 777 and postmaster started with no problem. i seem to recall that
the socket used to live in /tmp and not in /var/run - maybe you ran
into this same problem in the past.

in fact, checking postgres 6.5.1 on another machine shows that
the socket IS in /tmp and comparing the output of 'strings -a
/usr/lib/postgresqlbin/postmaster' for versions 6.5.1 and 6.5.2 shows
/tmp/.s.PGSQL.%d in 6.5.1 and /var/run/.s.PGSQL.%d in 6.5.2

no other problems detected so far. i'll let you know if i run into any.

craig

--
craig sanders