Re: dpkg --build and empty directories

On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 07:43:15PM +0000, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> In my rules file, I have the line:
>
> install -d /var/log/$(P)

I hope there's some `pwd`/debian/tmp in front of that path.

> After the build process, debian/tmp contains the path /var/log/dssb, as
> expected, but the contents of the .deb file has no such directory.
>
> If, on the other hand, I touch /var/log/dssb/.keepme, the directories get
> installed into the package file.
>
> I use no helper scripts, so I have no idea just what problem you are
> referring to, but it doesn't seem related to the one I see.

It's not related (and a bad joke).

I just tried the simplest test I could (but still using debhelper):

- created empty directory test-1.0
- ran dh_make
- replaced "$(MAKE) install" with "install -d `pwd`/debian/tmp/var/log/blah"
  in the "install" target
- ran "fakeroot debian/rules binary"

Which did work. (the deb contained all directories leading up to my
directory).

The relevant call to dpkg was: dpkg --build debian/tmp ..

--
The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed