Re: dpkg --build and empty directories

On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Bart Schuller wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 06:46:51PM +0000, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > I suppose, as usual, I am late to this party, and have only just
> > discovered that dpkg doesn't include empty directories in debian/tmp in
> > the contents of the .deb file. Am I expected to manage these directories
> > in the postinst and prerm scripts, or should I just touch a .keepme file
> > into those directories before building the package?
>
> Strange...
>
> No, the rest of us are wishing for dh_movefiles to *not keep empty
> directories around* after moving files to a different package.
>
> So I'd gladly swap dpkg versions with you, mine's
> Debian Linux `dpkg' package management program version 1.4.1.13 (i386 elf).

That is the same version that I am running.

In my rules file, I have the line:

install -d /var/log/$(P)

After the build process, debian/tmp contains the path /var/log/dssb, as
expected, but the contents of the .deb file has no such directory.

If, on the other hand, I touch /var/log/dssb/.keepme, the directories get
installed into the package file.

I use no helper scripts, so I have no idea just what problem you are
referring to, but it doesn't seem related to the one I see.

Waiting is,

Dwarf