Re: Poor failure recovery and request for intensive testing

Raul Miller wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 06:02:52PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> > I want to know why we don't have any statically-linked essential
> > utilities on a standard install.  Shell, cat, cp, ls, mv, rm, fsck,
> > etc.
>
> -ls, -mv and -rm are supplied by the sash package.
>
> It might be nice to have a statically linked fsck.
I would also vote for statically linked insmod/rmmod/modprobe binaries.
I am especially in need of a statically linked insmod as I am working on
enhancing the boot-floppies package by initrd images. Could somebody
take this (I am no maintainer yet) ?

These images contain modules that can be loaded before the real root fs
is mounted. With this enhencement all kernels can be as small as 450k
(as of 2.3.20) and support all kinds of scsi controllers (using
modules). No more conflicts between compiled-in scsi drivers.
I have a working version of a script creating an initrd image for a
kernel. Before this can be integrated into the standard boot-floppies
package, I would like as many people as possible to test it. Please feel
free to send me any comments, suggestions and objections.

You can find the shell script and needed files (the statically linked
insmod was taken from RedHat due to a lack of a Debian package and a
lack of time on my side :-) ) under
ftp://ftp.vianova.at/pub/debian-experimental/initrd/mkinitrd-0.2.tar.gz
The script is called:

./mkinitrd <kernel-version> <path-to-modules>
e.g.: ./mkinitrd 2.2.12 /lib/modules/2.2.12

You will have to customize at least one line of the shell script:
copy_files_from=
has to be changed to the directory where the files insmod.static and
linuxrc (the compiled version of linuxrc.c - just run 'make linuxrc')
are located. Sorry for the inconvenience, but the script should not be
run manually but integrated into kernel-package.

Please test as much as possible. This method should make Debian a bit
more useable to new users (no recompiling of the kernel needed - RedHat
has this for some time).
The README file has a few notes about customizing during run-time,
please feel free to email me if something is unclear.

greets
Rene