Re: HOWTO: making a package which compiles fine on slink and potato

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> A modest HOWTO, which seems to work for me. Comments wlecome, you can find the
> latest version on <http://www.debian.org/~bortz/slink2potato/>.
>

> The slink2potato HOWTO for package maintainers

nice idea.

[...]
>    Ideally, _debhelper_ should do everything for you. In practice, many
>    debian/rules have hardcoded pathnames for various reasons. The best
>    thing is to try to suppress them. If you cannot do it easily, then at
>    least parametrize your debian/rules. To do that, first ask _debhelper_
>    on which version you run:
> ifeq ("$(shell dh_testversion 2.0.40 && echo potato)", "potato")
> DOC = usr/share/doc
> MAN = usr/share/man
> LIB = usr/share/lib

The name 'LIB' contains a dangerous suggestion, because:
/usr/lib/perl       -> /usr/lib/perl
/usr/lib/dict       -> /usr/share/dict
/usr/lib/<datafile> -> /usr/share/lib/<datafile>
better call it DAT.

btw: any suggestions about the FHS preferred /var/lib -> /var/state ?
Files in there are a very likely reason for hardcoded paths.

[following quote left in because its context of the above]
> else
> DOC = usr/doc
> MAN = usr/man
> LIB = usr/lib
> endif
>

>    Then, you can use these new variables in debian/rules:
>
> ./configure --datadir=/$(LIB)
> # Support for the old name, xt
> ln -sf xtraceroute debian/tmp/$(LIB)/xt

It would be nice to add something about possible glibc 2.0/2.1
incompatibilities.

Best regards,

Bj"orn Brill <brill@fs.math.uni-frankfurt.de>
Frankfurt am Main, Germany