Re: dpkg --purge leaves empty directory.

That's a longstanding bug with dpkg... nothing to do with the
correctness of your packaging.  Basically (as I understand it), dpkg
first refuses to remove the directory because it isn't empty (as you've
seen).  Once it gets past the point of removing the conffiles, it's
`forgotten' about the directory, and so leaves it behind.