Re: perhaps sort by priority?

At 05:30 PM 10/20/99 +0200, filipvr@carlsberg.office.xs4all.be wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 05:03:24PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
>> What's wrong with downloading cdimages if you're going to download every
>> file anyway? I don't see this as a problem. A more troubling question in
>> my mind is, "why are you downloading everything to make a cd?"
>
>Two things are wrong: downloading the images appears to be equally filling
the
>bandwith than downloading separate files (or even more so: according to
>cdimages.debian.org you should only do this as a last resort, and people
have been
>doing a lot of work so you could avoid this); and second there's the
chance of
>failures - you'll be a lot worse if a >600 Mb download gets interrupted
than even
>when some 20 Mb data package does.

Download interruption is not an issue anymore these days, about 90% of the
ftp
servers can resume downloads and there are a lot of download managers around.

Under linux greed (Get and Resume Elite EDition) is a great download manager,
it supports http and ftp URL's, multiple downloads, etc:

http://www.public.asu.edu/~arturner/greed/

Under windows Download Accelerator is a good choice:

http://www.downloadaccelerator.com/

Onno