Problems with debhelper: .changes file is not created

Hi there

Please excuse me if this problem has been discussed before, but I could
not search in the archives (glimpse error).
I have problems with a new debhelper. Some time in the near past
something on my system changed silently. Now debhelper does not create
the .changes files anymore when I invoke dpkg-buildpackage.
This changed behind my back because when I compiled logcheck_1.1-2 (I am
the maintainer) it worked without problems, but when I compiled
logcheck_1.1.1-1, it did not.
The only thing that changed was that I did an uupdate from the new
upstream sources which went through without rejects (additionally I
moved it from non-free to main). There were about a 3 weeks in between
the compile runs.

My debhelper version is 2.0.72, dpkg is 1.4.1.19.

Please reply directly as I am not subscribed to -devel at the moment.

Thanks,
Rene