Re: Release-critical Bugreport for November 26, 1999

At 17:21 +0100 1999-11-27, Christian Kurz wrote:
>> Package: base-passwd (main)
>> Maintainer: Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@debian.org>
>>   36007  update-passwd did many stupid things
>
>We will open a task at the debian-qa package for this. Someone with a
>good knowdlege of perl could take this task and provide us with a new
>and better update-passwd

Wichert is already rewriting update-passwd.

>> Package: debian-policy (main)
>> Maintainer: Debian Policy List <debian-policy@lists.debian.org>
>>   43529  debian-policy: mail locking in Debian is _not_ NFS safe
>
>And the Policy-Maintainer working on a fix?

This cannot be fixed by policy alone unless we want to stop offering NFS
safe locking in Debian.

>> Package: emacs20 (main)
>> Maintainer: Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>
>>   51112  emacs20: emacs20 cannot compile on powerpc
>
>Could someone of our PowerPC-Porters look at this issue?

The bug has a patch.

>> Package: gconv-modules (main)
>> Maintainer: Joel Klecker <debian-glibc@lists.debian.org>
>>   48120  gconv-modules would not be loaded properly when setgid
>
>If it's really fixed as mentioned in the BTS, can this bug please be
>closed?

It's still open because I haven't updated the Debian sources to current CVS
yet.

>> Package: ksymoops (main)
>> Maintainer: Joel Klecker <espy@debian.org>
>>   51137  boot errors!!!
>
>Is someone working on a bug fix for this bug or not?

This is not even a bug in ksymoops, it's in modutils. I have reassigned it.

>> Package: lapack (main)
>> Maintainer: James A. Treacy <treacy@debian.org>
>> [REMOVE] This package can be removed if it is not fixed.
>>   48661  lapack: doesn't build from source
>
>Is this bug as suggested in the BTS not in lapack itself but in g77 or
>not? Can someone please examine this issue and reassign it if necessary?

It is a bug in the alpha backend of gcc 2.95, there is no chance of it
being fixed in the stable branch of gcc. Thus it should be reassigned to
g77.

>> Package: ldso (main)
>> Maintainer: David Engel <david@debian.org>
>>   48539  ldso_1.9.11-5_alpha.deb fails to install
>>   48818  ldconfig dies with Illegal instruction
>
>Can someone from the Alpha-Porter-Team please take a look at this issue?

Both of these issues have been solved, they were caused by the alpha porter
who builds glibc using a compiler with an unusual configuration.

>> Package: libc6 (main)
>> Maintainer: Joel Klecker <debian-glibc@lists.debian.org>
>>   50311  libc6: libc6 ships binary programs: please split.
>
>We need to discuss this issue to see if it's a bug or not, but I would
>suggest lowering the severity of it.

It's a bug, I offered the solution of alternatives to its submitter but
have received no reply. I have gone ahead and implemented alternatives, but
the libdb2.6-util maintainer needs to implement them too.

>> Package: libc6-dev (main)
>> Maintainer: Joel Klecker <debian-glibc@lists.debian.org>
>>   50083  libc6-dev: broken headers for sparc
>
>Also here we need the help of our Sparc-Porters to find a good fix.

Ben Collins has told me this will be fixed the next time a sparc glibc
upload happens.

>> Package: libdb2.6-util (main)
>> Maintainer: Fabrizio Polacco <fpolacco@debian.org>
>>   50647  libdb2.6-util: trying to overwrite db_archive from libc6
>
>Should also be easy to fix without much work. Fabrizzio, when do you
>release a fixed version or can we NMU it?

I will NMU this to ensure it's synched with the glibc upload using
alternatives.

>> Package: liblockfile1 (main)
>> Maintainer: Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl>
>>   43491  liblockfile1: lockfile_create is _not_ NFS safe (fcntl() missing)
>
>Can someone please modify liblockfile so that locking is
>policy-complaint?

It's not that simple, the API would have to be redesigned.

>> Package: libpcre1 (main)
>> Maintainer: Mark Baker <mbaker@iee.org>
>> [REMOVE] This package can be removed if it is not fixed.
>>   50046  libpcre1: does not build from source on sparc
>
>Can we surely remove the package from the FTP-Servers or not?

Yes, I doubt anything even uses it now.

>> Package: manpages-dev (main)
>> Maintainer: Nicolás Lichtmaier <nick@debian.org>
>>   46792  setreuid(2) contains invalid security information
>
>Can we reassign this bug as suggested to libc6-doc?

This bug doesn't have anything to do with glibc's documentation.

>> Package: oskit (main)
>> Maintainer: Ed Boraas <ed@debian.org>
>> [REMOVE] This package can be removed if it is not fixed.
>>   43872  oskit: i586-oskit-gcc forks endlessly
>
>Ed, how about a fix for this bug?

The package won't even compile with the present binutils and gcc.
>> Package: socks4-clients (main)
>> Maintainer: Christoph Martin <christoph.martin@uni-mainz.de>
>>   49262  socks4-clients: Cannot use libsocksspl.so, __bind symbol undefined
>
>Needs more examination to get it fixed.

Sounds like it's trying to override libc functions merely by having
functions of the same name; this will not work with symbols that are
internal to libc, rewriting the shared object to use dlsym(RTLD_NEXT,...)
is the only way it'll work.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>