Re: chrooting for build-deps

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 07:12:09PM +0000, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> I havn't got the original note any longer, but would it be possible (or even
> desirable) to use hard links to "create" the clean tree that is going to be
> chroot()ed?

The main problem is that it wont protect your non-build system from beeing
damaged by broken build-scripts. And it would force you to have installed
the build environtment tools as your productive system, which may be exactly
what you want to try to avoid. On the other hand there might be users who
dont need to protect the sytem from altering and dont need to have different
versions in build- and production-use. In that case the hard link trick is
neat (as long as everything is on one file system). (but even a copy can be
done faster as installing the packets).

Greetings
Bernd