Re: RFS: 7kaa 2.15.6+ds-1 and 7kaa-music 2.15-1

Markus,

On 2023-12-23 at 23:09, Markus Koschany wrote:
> Hi P.J,
>
> Am Freitag, dem 22.12.2023 um 07:22 -0500 schrieb P. J. McDermott:
> > On 2023-12-18 at 11:52, P. J. McDermott wrote:
> > > Markus and team,
> > >
> > > 7kaa 2.15.6+ds-1 is pushed to Salsa [1] and ready for review.  If you
> > > upload it, I'll push a debian/2.15.6+ds-1 tag.
>
> Thanks for your contribution. I've just uploaded the new release and also
> pushed the tag. The new changes from yesterday are also included.

Looks good, thanks!

(With diffoscope I determined that the checksums I gave in the .dsc and
.changes differed from what you uploaded and what buildd emitted because
files in my local copy of the source package predated the changelog
entry date, and I had forgotten that dpkg clamps rather than sets mtimes
in the .debian.tar* archive.  I confirmed that the source and binary
packages were otherwise bit-for-bit identical.)

> [...]
> > > Can you please also go to the CI/CD settings [3][4] and under "General
> > > pipelines" set "CI/CD configuration file" to "debian/salsa-ci.yml"?
> > > Also, for the games-team/7kaa-music repository, upload debian/7kaa.png
> > > from the 7kaa package as an avatar and set the description to
> > > "7kaa-music packaging".
> > >
> > > [3]: https://salsa.debian.org/games-team/7kaa/-/settings/ci_cd
>
> That should work now.

This doesn't appear to be done.  The Pipelines page still suggests
creating a ".gitlab-ci.yml" file instead of allowing to run pipelines:

    https://salsa.debian.org/games-team/7kaa/-/pipelines

> Regarding 7kaa-music; while I appreciate all your effort for 7kaa, I still
> believe that for non-free music Debian is not the right place, even it is part
> of Debian's non-free distribution. That's just my personal opinion, others may
> view this issue completely different. If I remember correctly then I have
> removed non-free music from foobillardplus in the past, which was nice, but
> absolutely not needed to enjoy the game since all sound effects were free.
> However I explained in README.Debian [1] where to install the music files in
> case someone wanted to listen to the music. And thus I believe it would be
> quite simple to do the same for 7kaa. Yes it requires manual user intervention
> and it is less convenient but Debian is all about free software and media and
> music is probably one of the least important things to ship in non-free IMO.

I understand and respect your commitment to free media (especially as a
fan of free music myself).  While indeed music is among the least
important things to distribute in non-free, and of course I (and other
7kaa players) wish the music were free, my personal opinion is that
music is also among the least harmful things in Debian's non-free
archive area.  I'm more comfortable with music in Debian non-free than
I am with non-free code, like dwarf-fortress (non-free binaries),
out-of-order and powder (maintained by this team, forbid sale and
modification), runescape (maintained by this team, downloads and runs a
non-free binary), steamcmd (maintained by this team, is a non-free
binary), etc.  And 7kaa-music would be far from the only non-free game
audio in Debian (angband-audio, openttd-opensfx until recently,
sauerbraten, etc.).

> What worked for me as well was to ask the original music creators of
> marsshooter to re-license their work, which they actually did. But just as I
> said, this is my personal opinion, so don't be surprised if I don't sponsor
> 7kaa-music. Anyways, happy holidays!

That's awesome that they were willing to relicense!  I see that the
music is actually a compilation from the old Elysia and Angelic Asylum
albums by Obsidian Shell, which happens to be one of my favorite bands.
I remember their music used to be CC BY-NC-ND 3.0, CC BY-NC-SA 3.0, and
all rights reserved, so it's great that most of their albums have been
republished under CC BY-SA 3.0.  It looks like you and Hans de Goede
were responsible for that, so thanks!  Also great that they're still
going, after splitting up due to the 2011 "Renaissance" EP (one of the
two albums and a few singles not republished freely).  But I digress...

7kaa's development studio and music's composer initially refused to
allow the community project to distribute the music royalty-free at all,
except for about US$1000 [1].  Then a couple years later after multiple
requests by the project as well as players, the composer finally granted
the project permission to distribute the music unmodified and for use
with the game. [2][3][4][5]  He still sells copies of this music [6]
(and the game studio still sells copies of the game with music), so he
has always refused to grant a free license.  So unfortunately, asking
for a free license for this music has already been tried multiple times
without success.  The only way to get a free license would be to
crowdfund about US$1000 (as of 2009).

I'll hope for another sponsor if you don't upload it (which again I
would understand).

Thanks again for the upload, and happy holidays to you too!

[1]: https://www.7kfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78&start=30#p1362
[2]: https://www.7kfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=527
[3]: https://www.7kfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=539#p3781
[4]: https://www.7kfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=549