Re: user/group -- my compromise proposal

> Ok.  I've been following the debate silently since it began, and I
> think that both sides have valid arguments.  What follows is how I
> plan to implement it in 0.92, so please comment ASAP.  I want to get
> 0.92 out soon and don't want to delay much longer.  But I also agree
> with Ian Jackson that if we're going to do it we must do it _now_, so
> please comment before it's too late...

This all looks good, Ian, except for the one thing noted below.

> * Any users in the `disk' and `src' groups may compile and install a new
>   kernel image (being a member of the `disk' group is necessary for the
>   use of lilo).  The kernel image has been moved to /boot and there is a
>   symlink from /vmlinux -> /boot/vmlinux.  The directory permissions are
>   as follows:
>
>   drwxrwsr-x   2 root     src          1024 Mar 23 00:39 /boot/
>   drwxrwsr-x   4 root     src          1024 Mar 23 00:11 /usr/src/linux

I feel the group of /boot should be `disk' or `root'.  If you need to
be a member of group `disk' to use lilo, you should also need to be a
member of group `disk' to overwrite *anything* in /boot.

David