user/group -- my compromise proposal

   Date: Thu, 24 Mar 94 06:57 PST
   From: David Engel <david@istwok.ods.com>

   > * Any users in the `disk' and `src' groups may compile and install a new
   >   kernel image (being a member of the `disk' group is necessary for the
   >   use of lilo).  The kernel image has been moved to /boot and there is a
   >   symlink from /vmlinux -> /boot/vmlinux.  The directory permissions are
   >   as follows:
   >
   >   drwxrwsr-x   2 root     src          1024 Mar 23 00:39 /boot/
   >   drwxrwsr-x   4 root     src          1024 Mar 23 00:11 /usr/src/linux

   I feel the group of /boot should be `disk' or `root'.  If you need to
   be a member of group `disk' to use lilo, you should also need to be a
   member of group `disk' to overwrite *anything* in /boot.

That does make more sense.  I'll make the change when I get home.

Ian Murdock <imurdock@gnu.ai.mit.edu>