Re: directory under /usr/bin -- Ok or not?

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 13:31:06 -0400
Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com> wrote:

> Do we have any policy/recommendation forbidding/disadvising  having
> subdirectories under /usr/bin?

[...]

> I have checked FHS which only says:
> "The following directories, or symbolic links to directories, must be
> in /usr/bin..."
>
> so it seems to be ok to have subdirectories under /usr/bin (for /bin
> there is strict "must not"), and I failed to find something in
> debian policy forbidding or allowing taht.  So would it be ok?

I don't have a link at the moment (because linuxfoundation
bugzilla/bzr/etc is still MIA), but I'm pretty sure its been clarified
forbidding subdirs in any of the (s)bin directories for FHS 3.0 (and
the exceptions you cite have also been removed).
If/when all the infrastructure comes back, you can find links to them
at [1].

[1]
http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/fhs-discuss/2011-August/000334.html

thanks,