Re: policy for shipping sysctl.d snippets in packages?

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 2:34 AM, Brian May <brian@linuxpenguins.xyz> wrote:
> On 2017-04-27 16:19, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
>>
>> It seems you've missed the point (which was about 4 years between RHEL
>> releases).
>
> There was almost three years between Woody (July 19th 2002) and Sarge (June
> 6th 2005), yet we still allowed upgrades from Woody to Sarge.
>
> The time duration is irrelevant. It is the policy we have that we support
> and test upgrades that matters. It is much easier to ignore upgrades and
> recommend to reinstall from scratch, that means we don't need to test and
> debug why upgrades break under various corner cases. Not so good for our
> users however.

Did Linux development move as quickly as it does now?

Did users experience more problems or failures when running those dist-upgrades?

Of course duration matters. It's not the same use-case as a Debian
dist-upgrade but feel free to look up gentoo-user@ threads where a
user kicks them off with "I haven't upgraded for 6 months, 1 year, 3
years." The longer the period, the more problems.

Simply because Debian supports dist-upgrades doesn't make them easy or
doesn't make the duration between them irrelevant. We're on a more or
less two-year cycle and it makes dist-upgrades easier that if we were
on a 4-year cycle; I don't see what can possibly be debatable about
this.