Re: policy for shipping sysctl.d snippets in packages?

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Yup, this.  It works because we support it, test it, treat bugs in the
> upgrade process as critical, and take it into account in our release
> engineering.  It's a lot of work.

> Red Hat has chosen not to do that work, so they don't support it.  It's
> a tradeoff decision.

Just for the Google record, someone mailed me privately (apparently
something went wrong with getting mail sent to the list) to point out that
this lack of an upgrade path between RHEL versions was a one-time thing
for one specific RHEL version transition, and RHEL does indeed support
in-place upgrades for support customers for subsequent releases (and has
tools and whatnot to help determine if anything will break).