Re: concerns about Salsa

On Monday, 4 June 2018 9:54:32 PM AEST Ian Jackson wrote:
> Salsa is hardly the first Debian production service to not be running
> the packaged version of its primary application, and it won't be the
> last.  ftp.debian.org isn't running the packaged version of dak.

I think dak is quite different in two ways:

 * dak is very internal to Debian project. We don't have to package it just
for internal consumption.

 * gitlab was already packaged. If we package it for everybody then we should
be able to use it as well.

> In practice, I have found that it is much easier to deploy a
> production service directly from its git tree.  This makes it much
> easier to make changes.

Interesting. I tend to deploy packages and use whatever problems I experience
as incentive to update packaging. "Fix it for yourself and for everyone else"
kind of thing is a powerful concept although not always the fastest...

--
Cheers,
 Dmitry Smirnov.

---

Do your duty as you see it, and damn the consequences.
        -- George S. Patton