Re: Generating new IDs for cloning

>At a glance, there are also unique LVM IDs in /boot/grub/grub.cfg,
>though whether those would need to be changed when cloning I don't know.

Normally, you mount the root filesystem, chroot into it (more complex
than you think, either bind-mount tons of filesystem from the host,
and this is only safe-ish if both run sysvinit, or use grml-chroot,
which does that for you and which I don’t know has been adapted for
the systemd case), then run update-grub there (or dpkg-reconfigure
-plow grub-pc which also takes care of reinstalling the stage1 loader).

Also, update-initramfs -u (or -uk all if you have old *buntu).

Now this rewrites a couple of configuration files…

… when your LVM is also encrypted, and you use the nice grml-crypt
tool to mount the storage, it WILL have a different name than during
normal system operation, and this name will be embedded into the new
configuration… making the next boot fail for different reasons.

Life is hard, don’t clone systems, don’t distribute system images.

(And… do not forget to consider lack of entropy.)

Meh,
//mirabilos
--
(gnutls can also be used, but if you are compiling lynx for your own use,
there is no reason to consider using that package)