Re: Mozilla Firefox DoH to CloudFlare by default (for US users)?

On 2019-09-10 19:56:48 +0200 (+0200), Julien Cristau wrote:
[...]
> How is this worse than what we're already doing by default, namely
> sending the same data to whoever happens to be on the network, in
> addition to whoever happened to be listed in an unauthenticated
> dhcp response? (Which, if you're lucky, is your ISP, aka a 3rd
> party.)

It still significantly distributes the work of recording your DNS
queries/Web browsing activity. Cloudflare and their competitors are
already well-placed to see a significant proportion of general Web
traffic due to their CDN businesses, which makes them a much more
attractive target for mass surveillance (either mandated by some
governments, for sale to the highest bidders, or simply as the
victims of a stealthy criminal incursion). That status increases if
they're also the de facto DNS resolver for a majority of Firefox
users. I think it comes down to whether you consider the biggest
privacy risk to come from focused/local attacks (in which case the
new default is a benefit) or from global dragnet trawling by "big
brother" (in which case nearly everyone in the World trusting the
same small number of companies is a problem).
--
Jeremy Stanley