Re: requirements and regulations concerning upgrade checks/statistics callback on program start

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 11:26:26AM +0100, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
> On 26.12.19 06:42, Norbert Preining wrote:
>
> > (please Cc)
> >
> > are there any requirements or restriction what a program packaged in
> > Debian is allowed to do when starting up? Calibre is normally doing the
> > following checks:
> > - check for updates of itself
> > - check for updates of plugins
> > - send UID, OS, program version, and the icon theme selected in the
> >   program to the statistic site [1]
> >
> > Which of the above actions are acceptable for Debian/main?
> >
> > [1] https://calibre-ebook.com/dynamic/calibre-usage
>
> The last point seems inacceptable to me if the user hasn't explicitly
> consented to it.

That does bring back memory of  kobo e-reader which did
a "phone home" on each page of the user license agreement.
I did bring back the device to the shop, got refund
and spend my money on another e-reader.

In other words: sending out user information is unacceptable.

> Checking for updates might be annoying but is "OK" to me.

Debian user did choose the Debian version, there is no need
for a check on an update outside Debian.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven