Re: requirements and regulations concerning upgrade checks/statistics callback on program start

Hi Mattia,

On Thu, 26 Dec 2019, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> Considering this is debian, I'd probably say that none of those are
> acceptable without a proper consent for the user.  Opt-in flags in the

Yeah, agreed with you feeling, but I searched today the policy and
social contract etc etc, and I didn't find any regulation concerning it.

I mean, the UID sent is the one of the calibre installation, not the
device or anything else, it is purely an accumulation of how many
installations of calibre there are, and on which OS.

Pushing the numbers of Linux users a bit up would definitely help, so I
don't necessarily see it bad by default, but then ...

Do you have any pointer to some statement, policy, GR or so that forbids
it?

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev