Re: /boot partition too small

On Thu, Oct 06, 2022 at 06:16:56PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:

> Can you clarify? Is the new intramfs generated in /boot or generated outside
> of /boot but copied to /boot under a different name so it can be replaced
> atomically?
> I assume this is done for robustness reasons. Maybe, if space is as tight as
> in such situations, one could compromise here?

The situation went somewhat like this:

1. I have 2 kernels installed, a new one arrives
2. Installation of the 3rd one fails as usual, /boot contains 2 and a
   half kernels
3. I remove the kernel I'm not using, /boot contains 1 and a half
   kernels
4. dpkg --configure -a keeps failing for lack of disk space
5. I manually remove the initrd file of the new, not fully installed
   kernel
6. apt install --reinstall of the new kernel succeeds (dpkg --configure
   -a didn't generate the missing initrd)

I haven't had a chance to investigate why with a failed configure phase
an old initrd was left there, and why configure failed but a new
configure didn't regenerate the initd, so it may be that I hit a corner
case.

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/634F4BD1E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>