Re: /boot partition too small

Hi,

Am Fri, Oct 07, 2022 at 07:13:12AM +0200 schrieb Enrico Zini:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2022 at 06:16:56PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
>
> > Can you clarify? Is the new intramfs generated in /boot or generated outside
> > of /boot but copied to /boot under a different name so it can be replaced
> > atomically?
> > I assume this is done for robustness reasons. Maybe, if space is as tight as
> > in such situations, one could compromise here?
>
> The situation went somewhat like this:
>
> 1. I have 2 kernels installed, a new one arrives
> 2. Installation of the 3rd one fails as usual, /boot contains 2 and a
>    half kernels
> 3. I remove the kernel I'm not using, /boot contains 1 and a half
>    kernels
> 4. dpkg --configure -a keeps failing for lack of disk space
> 5. I manually remove the initrd file of the new, not fully installed
>    kernel
> 6. apt install --reinstall of the new kernel succeeds (dpkg --configure
>    -a didn't generate the missing initrd)
>
> I haven't had a chance to investigate why with a failed configure phase
> an old initrd was left there, and why configure failed but a new
> configure didn't regenerate the initd, so it may be that I hit a corner
> case.

In case it helps: I have also a laptop featuring this problem which
I also solve the very same way as Enrico (but shame on me was always
to lazy to report).

Just to confirm that Enrico is not the only one - probably there is
quite a number of installations out there and some of the users will
be scared to go steps 3.-6.

Kind regards
    Andreas.

--