Re: wxWidgets update & opencpn.

Hi Scott,

On 28/10/2022 15:57, Scott Talbert wrote:
On Fri, 28 Oct 2022, Alec Leamas wrote:

Hi Tobias!

Thanks for takin time to reply!

On 28/10/2022 11:00, Tobias Frost wrote:
Hi Alec,
On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 10:15:49AM +0200, Alec Leamas wrote:

The core issue here is opencpn, wxsvg is a dependency. The problem with
opencpn is that it has a plugin universe, and updating the current 5.6.2
version to wxWidgets 3.2 would break the plugin ABI.

Hi Alec,

Your plan to wait until 5.8 comes out is probably fine.  However, just curious - if you switched opencpn to use wx 3.2 now, couldn't you just rebuild/binNMU the plugins?  Or are you trying to avoid that extra effort?

Plugins are not packaged, opencpn loads external plugins. And yes, there is a warning dialog for loading unpackaged sw...

Expanding on this: plugin checks the os version, basically deems themselves as compatible if built for Debian 10 or 11. There are provisions to build separate ABI:s for the same version (here 11), but it's complicated and we want to avoid it.

That is, Debian 11/wxW 3.0 and Debian 12/wxW 3.2 is the two natural combinations we want to use. This makes the plugin compatibility issue so much simpler.

Cheers!
--alec