Re: Is an autogenerated configure shell script non-editable source

On Sun, 2022-12-11 at 16:47 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:

> Could you give some arguents for your feeling.

See the posts I made in this and earlier threads:

[🔎] 4363a2435e61bf351c7d3605136c3652118eae2f.camel@debian.org">https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/[🔎] 4363a2435e61bf351c7d3605136c3652118eae2f.camel@debian.org
https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/50184a59271c953a3f9a3c99bb193dc05e61f2aa.camel@debian.org

> what does this mean for other packages where configure.ac is missing?

That should be decided on a case-by-case basis, since not every
configure is generated from a configure.ac and not every instance of
configure.ac being missing is due to it being withheld from view,
some instances could be due to it genuinely no longer existing,
although that is very unlikely. In the case where it genuinely doesn't
exist, I would still regard that as an important bug, to fix upstream.

> I think the fact whether a fix is simple or not does not matter for the
> severity of a bug.  Unfortunately the solution is not as simple as
> described (as I wrote in response to the said mail).

Agreed in general, in this case it did turn out to be simple though.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise