Re: depends-on-obsolete-package lsb-base

On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 at 15:52:34 +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> I think that it is time to upgrade the warning, because I understand
> that interest in continuing to maintain systemd-sysv-generator is
> waning.
>
> I will be happy to assist maintainers who want to add a .service unit to
> their package but are unsure about the details.

This seems like a good thing to mass-bug-file about when trixie opens up
for development. As well as the advantages cited in the Lintian tag at
the moment, one big reason to add native systemd units is that a native
systemd unit tells systemd what lifecycle to expect the service to have.

A native systemd unit can specify whether it represents a long-running
daemon like /etc/init.d/ssh (typically Type=forking, simple, exec,
dbus, or notify with the default RemainAfterExit=no) or a batch job like
/etc/init.d/sudo (typically Type=oneshot with RemainAfterExit=yes).

systemd-sysv-generator doesn't have that information available to it,
so it has no choice but to generate units that are an awkward compromise
with Type=forking and RemainAfterExit=yes, which is adequate in most
cases, but is not actually fully correct for either of those categories.

    smcv