Re: automated CI on salsa to prepare MR for new upstream version

Lazy me would love to get automation going akin to the one in
conda-forge (see e.g. [1]) -- whenever a new upstream is released
(as could be detected with a run of uscan) the CI would

It's not exactly what you describe (because we're rebasing), but the Mobian team has been doing something like this for a while to update our kernel packages. The code is at https://salsa.debian.org/Mobian-team/packaging-tools/-/blob/master/rebase-ci.yml

You'd need to replace the git work in the first few lines with uscan, but otherwise:

- gbp pq should deal with upstreamed patches (and list them)

- The package will be pushed to a new branch and an MR opened. This requires a bot account or access token to be created.

- After the push/MR, normal salsa jobs will be run. (This one only runs on a schedule with a defined variable, see https://salsa.debian.org/Mobian-team/packaging-tools/-/blob/master/rebase-ci.yml#L61)

- If the patches fail to apply an issue is opened with a link to the failed CI job.

Only real issue we've had with it so far is getting a heap of "failed to rebase on 6.1.x" issues raised, but the kernel has a near weekly release cycle, so it's probably not as bad elsewhere.