Re: DEP 17: Improve support for directory aliasing in dpkg

On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 07:58:35 +0200, Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org>
wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 12:34:06AM +0200, Helmut Grohne wrote:
>> At some point the question becomes: Do we want that complexity inside
>> dpkg (aka DEP 17 or some variant of it) or outside of dpkg (i.e. what
>> we're talking about here). It seems clear at this time, that complexity
>> is unavoidable.
>
>My gut feeling is that returning to "dpkg's model is an accurate
>representation of the file system" will be less complex to manage
>long-term. For this to work, the model needs to be able to express
>reality, so I guess we can't avoid updating dpkg.

My gut feeling is that we are wasting prescious time of numerous
skilled Debian Developers to find ugly workarounds to something that
should be done in dpkg, but isnt being done because one dpkg
maintainer has decided to not go the way the project has decided to
go.

This inability to find consensus, to take decisions, accept and follow
them is one of the most central problems that Debian has.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |