Re: RFC: advise against using Proton Mail for Debian work?

Nilesh Patra <nilesh@mailbox.org> wrote on 15/11/2023 at 03:49:12+0100:
> On 15 November 2023 5:10:50 am IST, Nicholas D Steeves <sten@debian.org> wrote:
>>On the surface, this means Proton Mail (free account) is great!  And for
>>general use, I feel like we should be supportive of them; however, I'm
>>starting to wonder if we need to recommend against the use of Proton
>>mail for Debian work for the following two reasons:
>>
>>1. I've received a report that this provider is not appropriate for DM
>>and DD use, because the key pair is stored on their servers.  Ie: The
>>applicant doesn't control the means to validating identity and
>>authorship.
>
> 100% agreed.
>
> I once advocated a DM who uses protonmail and a few months (after they
> became a DM), I came to know about PM's storing keys in the server.
> So I quickly checked with the person in question if they pushed their
> keys to PM's servers, and to my utter horror, they did.
>
> I quickly made the keyring maint know and their keys were removed
> immediately and a new pair of keys were later added back after a few
> months when enough trust was established for those.
>
> This is not the only instance I faced this. Another individual whom I
> advocated for being a DM also did this, but we found out about it
> before the process started.
>
> People who are new to the GPG thing end up thinking it's okay to add
> their keys to PM - which is fine, but this is as good as compromised
> from the debian view which I think is correct.
>
> Due to this, I'm always skeptical whenever I receive a PGP signed or
> encrypted email from protonmail.

Following this specific event, the discussions we had between
FD/DAM/Keyring Maint seemed clear: a GPG key for which the private
component can't be trusted to be owned/managed/accessible only by the
DD/DM to whom it's supposed to belong can't stay in the keyring as it
can't be trusted.

--
PEB