Re: DEP17 - /usr-merge - what has happened - what will happen - what you can do to help

On Thu, 16 Nov 2023 at 11:27:36 +0100, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> usr-is-merged now enforces a merged layout in trixie and unstable. If
> you are faced with failures from debootstrap consider updating your
> debootstrap from bullseye-updates or bookworm-updates.

I think that should say bookworm-proposed-updates or
bullseye-proposed-updates. The updated versions were ready before the
12.2/11.8 point releases, but unfortunately couldn't be reviewed in time
to be included; instead, they will be included in Debian 12.3 (2023-12-09)
and 11.9 (early 2024).

bookworm-backports also has a suitable version.

(Packages that have been accepted by the release team for the next point
release only go into -proposed-updates. The corresponding -updates suites
are only used if the release team specifically allows a package to be
added to them to fast-track it onto end-user systems, which has not been
done in this case.)

> Please upload restructuring changes to experimental.
> This advice is valid for the entire trixie cycle.

This is good advice regardless of the /usr merge or not, and I think
we should generally be testing restructuring in experimental before
uploading it to unstable, even after trixie.

This is doubly true if NEW packages are involved, because uploading those
to unstable means the maintainer no longer has control over whether/when
they start a transition (the ftp team might approve them at any time,
whether it's a convenient time or not), and after they're accepted they
will need a source-only re-upload before migration can happen.

    smcv