Re: DEP17 - /usr-merge - what has happened - what will happen - what you can do to help

Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> (2023-11-16):
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2023 at 11:27:36 +0100, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> > usr-is-merged now enforces a merged layout in trixie and unstable.
> > If you are faced with failures from debootstrap consider updating
> > your debootstrap from bullseye-updates or bookworm-updates.
>
> The updated versions were ready before the 12.2/11.8 point releases,
> but unfortunately couldn't be reviewed in time to be included;
> instead, they will be included in Debian 12.3 (2023-12-09) and 11.9
> (early 2024).

You're absolutely correct that packages were ready, and weren't
“reviewed in time”. I think I've already stated a few times I'm more
than aware of my part of responsibility for that.

That being said, being expected to review critical changes for stable
suites, in a component that's also used for every single installation,
within a few days (or be bypassed entirely), after years of being stuck
in place, isn't something that felt even remotely reasonable.

A few weeks ago, the switch was flipped all of a sudden in unstable,
breaking various parts of the Debian infrastructure (e.g. piuparts,
jenkins, etc.), without having debootstrap packages readily available.
Of course, one can add options here and there, but that cost energy,
time, and motivation, to a number of people.

I must point out that while I'm very happy to see progress finally being
made, especially a number of changes that Helmut stages and coordinates
(e.g. https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2023/11/msg00056.html).

But I'm not quite so thrilled with the way some other changes are being
pushed in an uncoordinated fashion, even less so when it feels like I
have to spend extra time on mea culpas.

Cheers,