Re: /usr-move: Do we support upgrades without apt?

Hi,

On 21/12/2023 09:41, Helmut Grohne wrote:

Is it ok to call upgrade scenarios failures that cannot be reproduced
using apt unsupported until we no longer deal with aliasing?

I incline towards "no"; if an upgrade has failed part-way (as does happen), people may then reasonably use dpkg directly to try and un-wedge the upgrade (e.g. to try and configure some part-installed packages, or try installing some already-downloaded packages).

It may be that the mitigations necessary are worse than the risk, but I think the behaviour as described in #1058937 is definitely buggy.

Regards,

Matthew