Policy: versioning between releases

Hi,

question: policy 3.5 states, rather unequivocally,

Every package must specify the dependency information about other packages that are required for the first to work correctly.

Now … does that apply to crossing release boundaries? Specifically, if foo/testing requires bar >=1.1 to work but just states "Depends: bar >=1", and bar/stable is 1.0.42 … is that a bug? If so which severity?

If not, shouldn't that be mentioned somewhere in Policy? Offhand I didn't find anything that even mentions Debian suites / releases, but admittedly I only skimmed the table of content and didn't re-read the whole thing.

--
-- regards