Re: ITP: gtk-gnutella -- The Most Efficient Gnutella Client

Hello,

On Fri 29 Mar 2024 at 01:44am GMT, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 09:28:44AM +0800, Sean Whitton wrote:
>> On Thu 14 Mar 2024 at 01:29pm GMT, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
>> > I took a peek, out of curiosity. I was surprised not to find a
>> > orig.tar.gz /  debian.tar.gz split; the package version scheme
>> > properly reflects a normal (non-native) package (1.2.3-1), but
>> > the source tarball has "./debian" in it;  and indeed, it looks
>> > like you're managing the debian packaging in the upstream repo.
>> > It's advisable to keep the two separate.
>>
>> Not everyone agrees with this.  I think that same repo, non-native
>> versioning is often what's best for a package.
>
> While it's true that some people do hold that position, the problem with
> it has always been that it gets extremely cumbersome the moment that
> maintenance of the Debian packaging passes to somebody who doesn't have
> upstream commit access.  This event is traditionally followed by
> cursing.

I've been on both sides of this -- upstream maintainer doing Debian
packaging, and adopting a package previously maintained by its
upstream -- and I really appreciated the simplicity in the former role,
and found it just one of the various small tasks involved in adopting
the package in the latter role.  I think it's easier now we treat source
packages as an output format, thanks to git.

--
Sean Whitton