Re: archive.debian.org mirrors

[As a general note, the primary contact point for possible mirror
issues is mirrors@d.o, not debian-devel]

On Sat, 2024-04-27 at 12:16 +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> it should be possible to reach archive.debian.org via rsync, however
> this fails for me.  Is this intentional, or can this be fixed?

It's intentional using the name archive.debian.org, yes. That name
points to a CDN frontend, which doesn't have rsync available.

See
https://lists.debian.org/debian-mirrors-announce/2023/11/msg00000.html

I've attempted to update the mirrors list input file to use the newer
name for rsync. We'll have to see if that works once things get
rebuilt.

> Further it seems mirrors are out of sync.  I noticed that several
> mirrors lack buster.  According to timestamps on archive.debian.org
> these directories were added on 2024-03-10 -- is it usual for mirror
> delays to be this long?

Can you be more specific as to which mirrors you're talking about? I'd
also be interested as to why you feel you need to use a mirror rather
than simply archive.debian.org itself.

> Seeing mirror functionality being uncertain, I have started to track
> archive.debian.org as a Git-LFS repository on gitlab.com.

Please don't. If there's a problem with debian.org services then we
should fix that, not start adding more copies of terabytes of data on
third-party services.

Regards,

Adam