Re: Re: Suggestions about i386 support

On Sun, May 19, 2024 at 07:26:28AM +0000, defrag mentation wrote:
> What will this solve?
> I don't think this is "needed"? Unless you think all i386 packages will be
removed from Debian, which is not the plan?
Case 1: Debian removed i386 DVDs/BDs, and someone jigdo backed the full amd64 DVDs/BDs set will be surprised that it do not contain wine32.
Case 2: Wine will work through Y2038 if its Unix-layer is 64-bit time_t by Debian, and its Win32-layer is 64-bit time_t by Wine maintainers. And it will be convenient to separate it from i386 repo since it will stick to 32-bit time_t. Visual C++ 2005 compiled things are 64-bit time_t already, so a lot of 32-bit Win32 apps already have no Y2038 problem.
Case 3: If forky or later versions will drop i386 totally, trixie may be good to firstly separate wine32 from i386 repo.

> Debian wine is not the only thing we want i386 libraries for.
What are they?

> And nobody proposed it.

If nobody proposed it, this can be ignored.