Re: what will be on the web

[I'm assuming that you didn't intentionally miss -doc cc:, so I'm
including it again]

On Sun, Mar 14, 1999 at 07:19:00PM +0200, Tapio Lehtonen wrote:
> > BTW, What will happen with these two, will they continue to
> > reinvent hot water and describe everything already written (?)
> > by LDP people or will they be retargetted to Debian specific issues?
> > Authors, I assure you that I don't have interest in flaming,
> > I just want an answer.
>
> I have concentrated on translating the Debian 2.1 Installation manual
> to finnish, so the Administrator manual has received very little
> attention lately. But, I originally voluteered to write the "Time"
> chapter, and that is now complete as far as I am concerned.
>
> Are there complaints that the "Time" chapter is not the correct amount
> "Debian specific"? If not, I want detailed specific text with good
> arguments on what should be different.
>
> The other chapter, on backups, is incomplete and waiting contributions
> from persons that have backup devices. That chapter does have general
> backup stuff that is not Debian specific, I may change my mind on
> including or remove it if there is concensus on removing, but I feel
> backups are important and until there is a mechanism that enables
> linking stuff from LDP or other manuals, I feel it is a good idea to
> include it directly in the text.

I haven't actually read all the text, however I saw that sections
are named really general, so I thought the idea was to describe
everything related to for example FTP servers, UUCP etc.

The mechanism for linking doesn't exist, however that doesn't mean
that anyone should try to rewrite in Debian manuals what is already
written in LDP manuals. Assuming that it *is* written in LDP manuals.

Someone from the -doc group should take a closer look at LDP docs
and make a short summary of what is already written and where is
room for Debian-related improvement (where details matter).
I'll have time to take a look at it later next week.