Re: dpkg upgrade/downgrade dependency problem

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Juan Cespedes wrote:

[snip]
> > I'll set up a separate
> > packaging-manual package in the next days, and this requires an updated
> > dpkg package.
>
> 	OK, I'll do that with dpkg_1.4.0.23, so make the new package
> "Conflicts: dpkg (<< 1.4.0.23)".

Ok.

> > Please tell me if you could do these changes to dpkg. Note, that the
> > changes I have to make to the packaging-manual are urgent, since they
> > affect hamm. If you don't have time for this, I'll do a NMU of dpkg
> > myself.
>
> 	I'll do that next weekend.  Do you need the package before
> then?

I have the package ready for upload now, so I'm thinking of the following:

 - I'll release the new packaging-manual package later today, but without
   the "Conflicts: dpkg..."

 - I'll file a `Severity: Important' bug report against dpkg that
   contains the details--just to make sure this isn't forgotten
   (list of files I've taken over, and the `Suggest:')

 - As soon as you released a new dpkg which does not include the Packaging
   Manual anymore, I'll add a Conflict to my package

Is this ok with you?

(Note, that my package installs into /usr/doc/packaging-manual, so the
Conflicts is just to avoid confusion--the package don't really conflict on
a `file basis'.)

Thanks,

Chris

PS: I just tried to rebuild dpkg myself but failed--it's great that you do
this for me! Thanks!

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian has a logo!    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Check out the logo     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
pages at  http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/