I've verified some dpkg bugs

I've just checked out all open bug reports against dpkg and dpkg-dev,
because I want to reassign bugs that affect the Packaging Manual to the
new packaging-manual package.

With that, I found lots of other bugs which should be closed, reassigned,
etc.  I've included a list with comments below.  It would be nice if
someone of the current dpkg maintainers could check out my suggestions.

Unless there are objections, I'll perform the bug operations listed below.
(I'll report to this list before I perform the operations.)

Cheers,

Chris

--

Bugs which I'll reassign to the packaging-manual:
	19179, 17621, 17620, 15946, 14701, 6206

Bug reports which can be closed:
	16527, (fixed with 1.4.0.20 or .21)
	6052, 15157, (1.4.0.22)
        6871, (by 1.4.0.19, cf. expired bug#5041)
	17238, (that's the 1000/1000 bug--fixed)

Bug #13353 is a request for a new "Keyword:" dpkg control field. I don't
think that this is a "wishlist" bug for dpkg. IMO, it should be reassigned
to the debian-policy package. (In general, new control fields don't
require new dpkg functionality, but a policy decision.)

Bug #17283 contains a manual page for update-alternatives. It would be
nice if this manpage could be included in the next NMU of dpkg. This would
also fix #7326. I suggest to merge these two bug reports, since it doesn't
make sense to fix the reference in the packaging manual (as of #7326).

Bug #17409 is about a bug in the packaging manual and in dpkg's help
screen: force-overwrite is disabled by default now. It would be good if
this would be fixed in the next NMU too. I'll fix the packaging manual
myself (w/o reassigning the bug report).

Bug #12135 suggests that /usr/doc/copyright/* files are removed by dpkg
automatically. I'd consider such a behaviour of dpkg as bug instead. Note,
that Lintian already checks for files in /usr/doc/copyright. I suggest to
close this bug report.

Bug #6820 is about dpkg-source not being able to handle newly created
directories other than debian/. I think this was fixed in dpkg 1.4.0.11.
I suggest to close this bug report.

Bug #10405 suggests that dpkg allows package names to contain colons (:).
The discussion has shown clearly, that everyone (finally the bug report,
too) agrees that dpkg should not be changed in this respect and the bug
report can be closed. I suggest to close this bug report. (The report
contains some discussion about Perl module naming convention, but this is
obsolete I think.)

Bugs #17260, #17367, #19618, #19716, #20849 are about the missing
debian-changelog-mode file. I suggest to merge these bug reports. (It
looks like 1.4.0.22 includes this file in the "dpkg" binary package.
Therefore, I'd suggest to move this file back to dpkg-dev in the next NMU
and close these bugs.)

Bug #13220 is about a new dpkg-geninfo script, which generates md5sums and
du files automatically. After some discussion on the policy list, the `du'
files are considered depreciated and Lintian reports errors on this. The
md5sums files are silently ignored for now, but we'll definitely not
mandate them by policy. Therefore, I think this feature request is
obsolete and I suggest to close the report.

Bugs #10091 and #15288 are about changing the order of the clean and build
step in dpkg-buildpackage. There was some discussion on this issue and
finally, Klee agreed that the suggestion is a bad idea. I suggest to close
this bug report.

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA