Re: remote dpkg?

	We at GSyC maintain +50 Debian machines, with just two of them
actually using dselect. The rest of them just mount /usr via NFS, and
several scripts based on rdist and rsh maintain /etc, /var, etc.
When we want to install or upgrade or whatever, we just dselect on the
"masters", and keep track (currently by hand) of any change in
non-/usr directories. These changes are later propagated to the rest
of the machines.

	We are currently looking at cfengine for helping in the task
of maintaining non-/usr directories.

	If there is any interest, I can ellaborate more in how do we
maintain the whole system.

		Jesus.

PS: The ugliest problems we have found with this setup are due to the
standard filesystem hierarchy used in Debian, which doesn't seem to
have network installations into much account...

Jules Bean writes:
 > Has anybody every mooted plans for any kind of remote dpkg operation?
 >
 > It would make a lot of sense for me to only have one Packages file (on one
 > of my faster machines - parsing Packages into memory on a 486 takes quite
 > some time...) - saves bandwidth as well.
 >
 > Then, on this machine, I would like to run dselect to update locate stuff,
 > dselect blueberry to update on blueberry...
 >
 > Or is this something which has been considered for Apt?
 >
 > It would seem good to me for two reasons - one, running dselect is slow on
 > come machines, and two, it saves me downloading stuff from my local debian
 > mirror once for each machine.
 >
 > Thoughts?
 >
 > Jules

 > |  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
 > |  Jules aka     |                               |  Richmond, Surrey   |
 > |  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |

Jesus M. Gonzalez Barahona             | Grupo de Sistemas y Comunicaciones
tel +3491 624 9458, fax +3491 624 9430 | Departamento de Informatica
jgb@gsyc.inf.uc3m.es, jgb@computer.org | Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
http://www.gsyc.inf.uc3m.es/~jgb       | c/ Butarque, 15, 28911 Leganes, Spain